In Fine Feather

1. Fig. well dressed; of an excellent appearance. (Alludes to a bird that has clean, bright, and flawless feathers.)
2. Fig. in good form; in good spirits.

Whole30

Friday, August 29, 2014

Creamy Clam Chowder

I can not believe all the things you can do with cashews! It is truly amazing, and their flavor just takes on whatever you pair it with. I am in awe every time I think about a cashew.
Also, I am a sucker for chowder so I was really happy to have this experiment WORK OUT! I feel as though cashews have opened a whole new door to cream based soups, and now that fall is approaching I foresee a lot of cashew cream soups, and squash in my future. I can't wait. Literally.
The soup is just as creamy, thick and delicious as chowder made with loads of cream. This was even better as leftovers, I love leftovers!
Also, the potatoes are just fine to leave out to make it 100% paleo. The only regret you will have after making this, is not making it sooner. Seriously!


Creamy Clam Chowder
2c raw cashews (soaked over night under water)
3-6 slices of bacon (make sure it is compliant)
1c yellow onion, chopped
1/2tsp celery seed
1 1/2c celery, chopped
1c potato, chopped
4c water
1/8tsp ground thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2tsp sea salt
1/2tsp table salt
1/2tsp pepper
4 (6.5oz) cans of minced or chopped clams AND their juice (make sure there is no sugar added)

Chop up your bacon and cook it in a soup pot for a few minutes until the fat has rendered.
Stir in the onions, celery, celery seed and potato. Saute for about 12 minutes or until veggies are cooked.
Add the water, juice from the cans of clams(approx 2 cups), thyme, bay leaf, salts, and pepper. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
Drain and rinse the cashews place them in the blender, remove 2 cups of soup broth from pot, and pour it in the blender with the cashews and blend until smooth.
Pour cashew mixture back into soup pot
Add clams to pot, stir, and cook for 5-10 minutes more.

Note: as the soup cools, it will thicken up a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Drop me a line..